Sunday, May 10, 2009
- Fortieth President of the United States!
- Began his career as a New Deal-supporting Democrat -- but later became the darling of the Republican Party!
- President of the Screen Actors Guild during the late-1940s Red Scare -- during which he provided the names of "communist sympathizers" in Hollywood to the FBI!
- Opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 -- and the Voting Rights Act of 1965!
- Held an extreme right-wing economic philosophy known as "supply-side" economics -- which held that lowering taxes more than pays for itself in economic growth!
- Supply-side philosophy was famously derided as "voodoo economics" -- by Reagan's very own Vice President, George H.W. Bush!
- Lowered taxes during his time in office, but had to pay for government somehow -- and so raised the national debt from $700 billion to $3 trillion!
- Signed an early version of NAFTA -- which made it easier for businesses to exploit workers in the relentless pursuit of bigger profits!
- Fired striking air traffic control workers -- but reduced business regulation!
= Opposed giving health care to all Americans!
- Believed in unregulated free markets as the best way to address all of society's problems -- saying, "Government is not the solution to our problem -- government is the problem"!
- Actually believed AIDS might be God's punishment on those with sinful lifestyles!
- Cut housing subsidies by three-quarters -- causing an explosion in the American homeless population!
- Provided the philosophical underpinning for the practices and policies that would lead to global financial meltdown in 2008!
Posted by Joe Six-Pack at 7:50 PM