Thursday, June 11, 2009
- Former prime minister of the United Kingdom!
- Daughter of a grocer!
- Closely allied with fellow idiot Ronald Reagan!
- Known for her arrogant dismissal of opinions contrary to her own!
- Bemoaned the changing racial composition of her country!
- Called anti-apartheid activist Nelson Mandela a terrorist!
- Abhorred government efforts to directly aid the poor and disadvantaged -- believing that self-interest and unfettered free markets are the answer to all of society's problems!
- Cut taxes, fought labor unions, and cut funding for education and housing!
- Actually said, "There no such thing as society" -- aloud!
- Privatized providers of public services -- giving the investor class a sweetheart deal on stock in the privatized enterprises!
- Deregulated British financial markets!
- Considered a hero by free marketeers the world over!
- Deeply disliked by less fortunate subjects of the British Crown!
- During her time in office, the gap between rich and poor Brits grew like never before!
- Thanks to the global economic crash, her economic philosophy has been revealed to be as sound as a subprime mortgage loan!
- Today suffers from dementia -- and so remains blissfully unaware of the carnage wrought by those inspired by her economic philosophy!
Posted by Joe Six-Pack at 10:42 AM
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
- Russian-born writer -- and inventor of Objectivism, a simplistic philosophy beloved by 15-year-old social outcasts everywhere!
- Believed self-interest to be all good -- and altruism to be evil!
- Found the idea of volunteering to help the less fortunate to be offensive!
- Elevated a rapist to hero status in her novel The Fountainhead!
- Provided a pseudo-intellectual justification for narcissism and selfishness!
- Never really addressed what would happen to those who don't "make it" in her ideal, selfish society; presumably, they would be sent somewhere where they could starve in private!
- Favorite of CEOs, bankers, and others with excessively favorable opinions of themselves!
- Current acolytes include deep thinkers like TV "journalist" John Stossel -- and Rush drummer Neil Peart!
- Mentor to former Federal Reserve chairman (and fellow idiot) Alan Greenspan!
- Admired by anti-tax, anti-regulation free marketeers like Newt Gingrich, Ronald Reagan, Tom DeLay, Ann Coulter, and Rush Limbaugh!
- Rather than "going Galt" and refusing to participate in society, her followers tend to whine about government -- while continuing to drive on government-built and -maintained highways, use government-run postal services, and enjoy government-run police and fire protection!
- Some Randians even consider Somalia to be an ideal small-government nation!
Posted by Joe Six-Pack at 12:55 AM
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
- Former CEO of Merrill Lynch!
- Graduate of (wait for it...) Harvard Business School!
- Known for firing people who disagreed with him!
- Despised by Merrill's rank and file!
- Called "a mean person, a disrespectful person" who "drove out thousands of years of experience" by a former Merrill EVP!
- Bet the farm on subprime mortgage market growth!
- Acquired subprime lending junkie First Financial in 2006 -- the peak of the housing bubble!
- 2006 compensation: $48 million!
- Forecast a subprime-related loss of $3 billion for Q3 2007!
- Two weeks later, Merrill announced an actual writedown of $8 billion!
- While his bank's balance sheet was crumbling, somehow managed to squeeze in more than a few rounds of golf!
- 2007 compensation: $46 million!
- Relieved of his position after trying to sell Merrill to Wachovia -- without the approval of the Merrill board!
- Left with a $160 million golden parachute -- the biggest ever!
- In late 2008, a deeply distressed Merrill was acquired by Bank of America!
Posted by Joe Six-Pack at 1:20 PM
Monday, June 8, 2009
- Former Citigroup CEO!
- Goes by "Chuck" -- surely proof that he's just a regular guy!
- A lawyer by training, and an administrator by nature!
- Originally ran the bank in tandem with the COO, Robert Willumstad!
- When Willumstad left Citi, Prince somehow believed he could run the bank himself -- despite his lack of banking experience!
- Under Prince, Citi bet its future on rapid and ongoing growth in subprime mortgage markets -- amassing more than $40 billion in subprime investments in addition to making a mountain of residential mortgage loans of its own!
- Conducted little to no oversight or risk management of the bank's subprime investment portfolio!
- Forced to resign in November 2007 -- after Citi suffered losses and write-downs totalling more than $65 billion!
- Walked away from the mess he'd caused with a golden parachute worth $30 million!
- To date, Citi has been bailed out by taxpayers to the tune of $45 billion!
- Citi's stock price in 2006: in the 50s!
- Citi's stock price today: $3.42!
Posted by Joe Six-Pack at 5:37 PM
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
- United States Senator (D-CT)!
- Chairman of the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs -- ground zero for Senate banking-oversight efforts!
- Regular recipient of massive campaign donations from the very financial institutions he's charged with regulating!
- In sum, has received $13.2 in contributions from Wall Street since 1989!
- Received more money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac than any other legislator!
- Ignored warnings about dangers to Fannie and Freddie resulting from their aggressive subprime lending -- and fought efforts to regulate them more closely!
- In July 2008, said of Fannie and Freddie, "These are viable, strong institutions"!
- In September 2008, Fannie and Freddie collapsed and were taken over by the government -- at a cost to taxpayers of $200 billion!
- As a "Friend of Angelo", received sweetheart mortgage from Countrywide Financial!
- Pushed housing bailout bill that would have benefited Countrywide to the tune of $25 billion!
- Has received nearly $300,000 in contributions from AIG since 1998!
- Premier idiot Joe Cassano personally solicited contributions to Dodd from his employees!
- To date, the AIG bailout has cost taxpayers $170 billion!
- Amended the original bailout bill to allow the payment of AIG bonuses totaling $165 million -- but claimed to have no idea how the amendment got into the bill when public outcry ensued!
- Current approval rating among his constituents? A whopping 33 percent!
Posted by Joe Six-Pack at 11:04 AM